Thursday, June 13, 2013

42



As sad as it is to say, any racial commentary in film no longer has a poignant effect on me. Sometimes I feel as if it's forced down my throat, as if I wouldn't see the tragedy in the story being told. That bothers me, and leaves me wondering if the story is worth being told if it has to be exaggerated. That doesn't just go for stories about race, but for a lot of true stories. So, I always have my skepticism when going into a "true story" movie.

42 was not only NOT an exception, but the trailers made me feel as if I was really going into something that might suck. Jackie Robinson has an unbelievable story. I was worried that this would cram an already harsh story down my throat as even worse. The Jackie Robinson rap certainly didn't help.

But what I watched wasn't a forced story, or one that left me feeling like I should be feeling more emotional than I was. Instead, I truly felt helpless watching a fantastic portrayal of the slugger himself as he struggled through the atrocities committed by the public, his teammates, almost everyone around him, as well as the little told story of his accompanying journalist. In short, this is the first film about racism in America in a long time to make me feel as the film wanted me to feel. And, just like Moneyball, it managed to make a sport I find very uninteresting into a fascinating one.

Chadwick Boseman plays a dynamite Jackie Robinson, filled with the passion and likability that I'm sure the real Robinson had to exude in his own life. Harrison Ford gives an admittedly campy performance, but one that is still to be admired for the fun he was definitely having while playing it, both an intelligent and passionate man, and maybe getting a bit old to be in that business, but once again, all the more fun. I'm particularly interested to see where Andre Holland, playing Wendall Smith, goes with his career. He was particularly memorable, and I'd love to see him get a best supporting actor nom in the upcoming Oscars.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment