Friday, July 19, 2013

The Internship




I don't like Owen Wilson. I love him in Midnight in Paris. That's about it. Even Wedding Crashers, which I enjoyed for what it was, was almost ruined by him. I find him tired, unfunny, and just uncomfortable. I really don't get his appeal. But that being said, I think he has potential to be a great actor. But put him in a role with a gimmick, and it just falls apart. As for Mr. Vaughn, I'm completely impartial. I've loved him, I've hated him. He's made me laugh, he's made me bitter. I have no resentment towards him, but I also keep no standard for him. As for the director, Shawn Levy, I love the first Night at the Museum. But that's really about it. I dislike Cheaper by the Dozen, I'm not a fan of Pink Panther, Night of the Museum 2, Real Steal... I guess you can say my thoughts of him aren't great.

So that being said, I actually really like this idea - two men who are well past their professional prime in a job that's obsolete try their hand at finding a job in the happiest employment on earth, Google. Sure, it's a bit dated maybe, but I don't think it's irrelevant. I think plenty of people are in that same boat.

But, that being said, the story follows two men who are not relatable and more frustrating. Their gag gets tired, the fast talking salesman talk of nothing leads nowhere fast, again and again and again. I hate to sound like the guy defending the occupation of salesmanship, but as someone who's been mildly successful in sales, I can say it's not all fast talking. It's knowing your product, loving your product, and knowing what you're talking about. These guys are HORRIBLE salesmen. And yet they got the movie greenlighted....hm...

The sad thing is, the cast isn't untalented. Truth be told, I loved pretty much everyone else in this movie for what they were. And I have a solidified celebrity crush on Tiya Sircar - sheesh, she is something else. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves and I appreciated the geekdom that kept coming back. It was fun watching Wilson and Vaughn go play Quidditch. But...why was that there again? Was it just to solidify how quirky and fun this internship was? Because I don't get it.

All in all, the worst part of the movie was the unbelievably annoying google pushing. I get it, it's at google. I get it, google is god made website. Seriously, we get it. It's one of those "show don't tell" instances where we see the slides, we see the campus, we see the food - you don't need to tell us how great it all is when we're watching it.

So, I guess I can rank this as a big advertisement for google. It wasn't great.

Rank - 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment