Wednesday, March 6, 2013

21 and Over



I hate this kind of movie. I paid to see a kids crazy antics on his 21st birthday, to maybe laugh and maybe be reminded of some of my own drunken stupidity. I expected to see the same sense of humor as The Hangover. And it was all there. But this forced emotional crap having to do with one of them failing, one of them dropping out, dreams not coming true, I'm sorry but frankly I don't give a damn.

It's pretty straight forward - two friends join up with their buddy from high school to take him out for his 21st birthday. But of course, hijinks ensue, and they need to try to get him home. Their attempts include throwing him out a window, a bull, a crazed male cheerleader, a lot of alcohol with them seemingly never getting drunk, whatever what have you. We've seen things like this before, we know it's not going to work out until the last possible second. So yeah, you're going into this knowing exactly what you're going to get.

In that regard, I guess it's pretty satisfying. It has its cheap punches and forced romance, it's got its completely ridiculous scenarios and dumb resolutions, all under the influence of alcohol. But that's my first problem - they outright said that their buddy drank way more than them in high school. We see them all drink a lot, but at no point are they ever intoxicated. That's a little weird, don't you think?

I guess my problem with these movies is simple - there's so much creativity, but such cheap laughs. I never would have thought of any of the situations in this movie, they were far fetched. It had to take thought. But for those moments to be successful, they have to make me laugh. And honestly, I found myself not laughing at the vast majority of this movie because frankly, it just wasn't that funny. One or two things had me smile, but I'd hardly call this a success on a comedic level. It was a success on an annoying level. I don't care about these guys relationship, frankly I don't care if they stay friends or not. I wanna laugh at them, not care about them.

It also doesn't help that the two main guys are 26 years old in real life, while our friend turning 21 is actually 31. Solid job their, casting director. Nailed it.

RANK: 1.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment