Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Dead Man Down



There's so little to say about this film. Why? There's just so little to the film in general. There's so little care for anyone, so little purpose to anything going on. I always say that to me, if I can't see why a story is being told, then it really detracts from me enjoying it. And that was exactly this film's problem - what was the point?

I can tell you this - the story completely escaped me. Terrance Howard and a bunch of other guys I don't know or care about are being taunted by a guy I don't know or care about, and there's a romance with a girl I don't know or care about who wants this guy I don't know or care about dead because of a car accident he caused that scarred her face. How do these stories connect? I have absolutely no idea. It felt like this movie was trying to have the softness of Drive (starring Ryan Gosling), but I don't buy that this girl is just a girl he met through circumstance like I did in Drive. I also have a hard time seeing any connection other than an unbelievably forced one.

As for the cast, a lot of people are praising the performances. And I want to, I love Noomi Rapace and I'm fine with the rest of the cast. But motives were just so strange and sometimes unreasonable to believe that I just couldn't understand if the acting was good or bad - how can you tell, when you don't know how the character should be motivated? That, and I dunno, Colin Farrell just isn't an actor I take seriously with a gun in his hands. Jumping off of that, the extras had strange actions in this too. I fervently do not believe that any group of school children would run up to a woman with a scar on her face and throw rocks at her. That simply does not happen.

The main criticism of this movie that I've seen is obnoxious plot twists. Again, I can't speak on this, because i was struggling to understand how they were twisting anything around. But there were certainly too many plot realizations, most of which seemed unnecessary since it was constantly shown who was actually doing what.

All in all, there's not much to say. This movie is convoluted, annoying, and strange. I'd skip it.

RANK - 1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment