Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Admission



Paul Rudd is adorable. End of story. Tina Fey is super funny. Again, a second end to the story. Putting them together is an adorable idea. I mean, they're just such an ideal couple by my standards - they'd make me laugh, they'd make me love their relationship, and hopefully it wouldn't be ridiculous.

I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Admission follows a Princeton Admissions officer contemplating her life while she scouts out a potential student who could also be her potential son. I guess it was an attempt to make the scouting process of this one awkward but likable boy a bit more believable, but it isn't. Moreso, the constant attempts of Rudd to help in the situation are less of endearing and more overbearing. It simply doesn't work, and it becomes something that I hate in movies - a forced male character who is pretty obviously a jerk out looking to get laid, instead of the obvious good guy he's supposed to be written as. It's uncomfortable, detestable, and poorly written.

On top of that is this obnoxious and constant forced reminder that this is an admissions officer. Why did it have to be an admissions officer in the first place? A woman finding her brilliant son is fine. But now we watch a woman in an admissions office at Princeton, of all places, is fighting for her son to get into the school? That's not endearing, that's not cute. That's wrong, in my eyes. And the only reason I see her strongly wanting to accept this kid into the school is solely because of her unhealthy closeness to the potential student. That's wrong. And I'm sure anyone who watched this movie who did want to go to Princeton, get ready to get pissed off by an obnoxious ending that leads to moral reprehensibility.

All in all, you desperately wish that this movie could be sweeter considering the cast. But a much simpler romance between the two would have been just as effective, if not more touching and funny. But where do jokes possibly come from in a story like this? They don't, except hope that Tina Fey as Tina Fey is enough to get a laugh. They tried, but they didn't succeed.

Score - 1.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment