Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Way Way Back

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2b/The_Way%2C_Way_Back_Poster.jpg

I was an introverted kid growing up. I didn't like interacting with people at all. I don't know why I didn't, but I didn't. Friends were few, and I didn't actively go out looking to make any. So right from the beginning, I loved the leading kid. I related with him. But more importantly, I liked him. This is the story about a kid who may be hurting, but who has a certain amount of confidence in himself that we gravitate as an audience towards him wherever he goes. This is a brilliantly written character, a perfect introvert.

That's what struck me about this film. Every character was incredibly well defined, brilliantly thought out. Sam Rockwell in particular was a lot of fun. But at no point did he really become a father figure to the leading kid, Duncan (played by an astonishing Liam James), but maintained the perfect amount of big-brother relationship with a funny, but laughably awkward personality that made us understand Duncan's desire to be around him. Steve Carell plays a man with his demons, a very unlikable character to say the least, but one who doesn't really seem to understand the harm he's doing to people around him. Allison Janey plays a hilariously written drunk woman, that one drunk friend who seems to know everbodies business but also has really nothing to contribute or to say except her general feeling toward them. There are a great number of fun side characters as well, each with a distinct and fun personality. One character in particular, a desk worker at the water park this all focuses around, had me howling shamelessly in the theater.

This was absolutely a pleasure of a film to experience. It had me laughing, such naturally written humor through characters that were certainly not the norm, but were so believable that the humor flowed effortlessly. It had a lot of heart, obviously a passion project for this Duncan character. Duncan is a lovable, believable introvert who's a lot stronger than everyone thinks. But I believe he knows how strong he is, and simply needs the friendship of Rockwell to feel support enough to show it. One particularly strong scene, a fight between the family, really puts in perspective his strength and love for his mother and self.

With all that said, this movie is also truly hysterically funny. Don't think this movie is all seriousness with punchlines. No, this movie had me laughing more than I remember in recent films. Seriously, I think the last time I laughed that hard was Cabin in the Woods, and the last romcom that had me laughing even remotely close to that amount was maybe Crazy Stupid Love. But this really had me shamelessly laughing very loudly in the audience. Every character had moments of comic brilliance. And what really had me surprised was the ease of humor from a clean place - there was no low brow jokes, there was no moment of groaning at an obvious pun or zinger. Each laugh was so easy and so genuine. It was really the funniest movie I've seen in a long time.

To conclude, this is the first movie where I was desperately hoping for the happiest of endings. I won't say anything. All I'll say is, wow.

It should also be noted that, while I have seen her in other works, I have fallen in love with AnnaSophia Robb. Dear god, she is gorgeous. If you're reading this, AnnaSophia, let me know. For two reasons. 1) Why the heck are you paying attention to my blog, 2) I know a few good places to get dinner around here...

Rank - 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment