Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Wolverine



So yeah. Wolverine. I guess. Sure. I can use another...

The fact is, I definitely don't need this movie. I'd much rather see more origin stories. Considering Wolverine's origin was a flop, I'd much rather check out some other origin stories from other X-men, and see where they are relative to Wolverine and maybe even the First Class storyline. I was honestly a bit surprised to hear another Wolverine movie was coming before so many others. But I heard stranger things, I suppose.

The one word that comes to my mind to describe Wolverine is...fine. There's nothing too wrong with it. It has its moments of fun, but mostly moments of boredom. It has its sci-fi strange plot points that don't really make sense, but nothing so outlandish that I was annoyed. It had a predictable ending that tried to mask itself as a twist, which I'm pretty sure everyone saw coming. It's story wasn't nearly on the same global scale as the past X-men movies, or past superhero movies in recent years for that matter. That was welcome, it was nice to see a softer, more personal story for an origin sequel. The effects were nice, it all checked out fine.

I guess my biggest criticism for this film was a lack of a consistent tone. Was it trying to be action packed, or smaller, more personal, what I thought it was trying to be from the start? It didn't really feel like it was giving a fair balance, more devoting itself to exposition and character development through talking. That lead to long, boring stretches of talk talk talk. And that's where the film lost my interest. And going to this movie after poor nights sleep after a long night of inebriation, that almost lead to some dozing.

But there's a lot to like in The Wolverine. It's got a great action sequence on top of a bullet train, one that really had me invested and really worked well. It benefits from an always talented Hugh Jackman, as well as some awesome new lead characters that are a lot of fun to get to know. In short, this is what a popcorn movie to me usually is - passable. Nicely passable.

Rank - 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment