Monday, October 7, 2013

Gravity



Gravity is a cinematic marvel. Two actors delivering flawless performances in the context of a story so realistically terrifying it's impossible to leave feeling unchanged. Two astronauts, stranded in space with total loss of communications, have to figure out the surest path to survival while coping with what should be the inevitable, despite their simple will to press on. It's terrifying and beautiful.

It's not an ungraspable tale, however. It hit me during the movie how similar the premise is to shipwreck and survivalist stories. It's not unlike 127 Hours, Buried, or Castaway in its story telling. Mix that with realism of Apollo 13 with themes from 2001 and, maybe not directly referencing, but a fire extinguisher use evoking memories of my favorite sci-fi film of all time, Wall-E. Thankfully, Gravity doesn't try to be these films. Rather, it pays a respectable passing homage to each, then moves on to distinguish its own identity in an unforgettable way. It works.

Sure, it has its hiccups. Only two, though. One was quickly solved. I found myself thinking that most of this wasn't scientifically plausible. Then I remembered that Apollo 13 happened, so I can believe anything I'm seeing. I also came home and read that the movie was praised for its scientific accuracy, with only a few hiccups. That's amazing.

The second problem was simple. I guess I'll just leave it at this - one of these cops is just 2 days from retirement. It's not subtle. We know what's going to happen. But the way it happens is thoughtful, sad, and beautiful. It was a few unnecessary lines, because the characters are so easy to love. But this is forgiven, thanks to unforgettable performances from Clooney and Bullock.

I have to hand it to Sandra Bullock. This is the first movie I've seen where I really truly loved her. I normally am so impartial, sometimes disliking her. But not this time. This is a movie where I truly believe she could take home an Oscar with no complaining from me. She deserves all of the praise she's getting for this film and more. Add a silly, easily lovable performance from George Clooney and you got yourself two great performances playing off of each other magnificently.

If you're on the edge about this movie, you should know that James Cameron called it the best space film ever done. The 3D is amazing. My jaw dropped with each passing shot of earth, every time debris in space passed I felt the immediate claustrophobia Bullock's character must have felt, having suddenly no room to move or work. Breath taking sunrises, amazingly detailed shots of lighting on Earth at night, terrifying shots of destruction. This movie really truly as it all. Even a few good natured laughs to keep you grounded in reality.

There's no other way to put it. Gravity is a masterpiece, one that will hopefully be studied later on as a success comparable to so many great space films before it. The one or two hiccups are beautifully saved by amazing cinematography, intense action, and two award deserving performances. I'm so glad that I saw it.

Rank - 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment