Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Secret World of Arietty






















4/5

It loses a point for being not quite as brilliant as other Studio Ghibli movies (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, etc), but it was still a great movie. I loved the detail on water being poured, the bugs that crawled up their bodies, etc. Detail is always something that Stduio Ghibli is known for, and it's certainly not lost here. I love the voice acting, another thing not lost from the Japanese translation. The world created in the context of the world we live in is really fun, and really easy to immerse oneself into. Arrietty herself is spunky, likable, and fun. I love the sense of adventure and wonder she finds in a kitchen, and the same emotions I felt standing along side of her in this vast, enormous world of a single house. This was a decent story, with great characters and amazing detail to the environment around them. Definitely one to recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment