Saturday, June 14, 2014

This Time Last Year - Man Of Steel

Welcome to my latest section - This Time Last Year! This is going to a segment that's devoted to a point in time exactly last year, where I go back and discuss whether or not the film I posted about really deserved the score that I gave it. How ironic that this weekend last year was devoted to a movie that I absolutely abhorred. That's right, it's what I saw as the worst film of the year...Man Of Steel.


Last year I went and saw this and absolutely hated it. I thought it was terribly shot, looked like crap, had stupidly written characters, poorly scripted dialogue, a jillion plot holes, and completely ignored what Superman was supposed to be - FUN. I hated the explanation of the powers Superman had, I hated that it tried to shoehorn in science bullshit in ways that only created a billion more plot holes, and most of all, I hated the dank, dirty look of the movie, not at all consistent with anything Zack Snyder has done at all.

But was it REALLY that bad? Was it REALLY so bad that it deserved the rank I gave it? The movie is so split down the middle between fans who love it and those who hate it, does it really deserve the rank I gave it, branding it the worst movie of 2013?

Yes. Yes it does.

Another viewing of this movie really let those plot holes shine. I watched it with the intention of paying super close attention to fill those holes. But instead, the small screen and the lack of a movie theatre environment completely amplified the glaring problems. How is it that Superman can't breathe in another atmosphere, but has no problem breathing in space? Why is it that his powers are amplified from years of growing up on Earth under our sun, but Zod comes down and matches his abilities in about 45 seconds? How come it took Superman an entire childhood to master oversensitivity to light and sound, but again, it only took Zod about 5 seconds? Why is it that we blatantly see a shot of matter falling AWAY from a black hole!? If him flying is entirely based on jumping, how the hell can he maintain a flight pattern?! And if this is all just enhanced abilities from a different atmosphere and gravitational pull, where the hell does laser vision come from? Sure, you can say I'm nitpicking Superman. But this movie is also nitpicking Superman. We don't need explanations of his powers. He's an alien. Let's leave it at that!

The acting is just as terrible as I remember. Amy Adams, who I used to love, overacts, underacts, then just kind of stopped. She didn't really seem to have any idea what she wanted to be doing with the awful role she was given. Cavill was fine for what his part was written to be, but Superman was completely emotionless, without any character at all and with no humanity to connect with. Until of course, he has to kill someone. Then he has an emotional breakdown and is forced to live with the consequences for the rest of the film. Oh wait, that's right. He gets over it in about 5 minutes. And where did this inability to kill come from? Yes, I know that's one of his character traits. But seriously? It's never mentioned in the film. Finally, there's the horrendous blandness that is Kevin Costner. Watching him tell Superman to not use his powers was kind of like... 


...and that's more passionate of an effort. Not to mention the complete lack of believable physics in that scene...why is the tornado sucking in everything except the stuff that conveniently needs to be sucked up?

Sorry, but I can't back down on this. Man of Steel was a terrible, terrible movie. Looking back on it a year later, I still can't walk away from it with any sense of enjoyment or fun at all. Sucks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment