Friday, June 20, 2014

Trailer Watch - 6/20/2014

Musicals, sequels, and...Third Person... I don't really know what that is. But it's time to check out this weeks line up of trailers! Let's take a look at Jersey Boys, Think Like A Man Too, and Third Person!


Jersey Boys

I didn't have the pleasure of seeing this movie on Broadway, but I absolutely love The Four Seasons and I love the music that inspired the musical. Plus I have friends who are enormous fans of the show, some seeing it multiple times a year to get their Frankie Valli fix. But even with the excitement from Broadway fans everywhere, it should be noted that Eastwoods most recent directorial efforts have been only okay. Trouble With The Curve was decent, Hereafter was okay, J. Edgar was sadly very shallow. When I watch these recent movies, I just feel the lack of focus and heart in the movies, which is so depressing considering the outstanding filmography we see only a year before that and earlier. Jersey Boys does seem like the perfect outlet for campiness found in Trouble With The Curve to come through, but my respect for The Four Seasons is too great to accept light heartedness in its story that is open to a very emotional story. As much as it does conflict me to say so, I'm gonna have to say wait to Stream It.


Think Like A Man Too

I didn't see the first Think Like A Man. I don't remember why I skipped it, but if the trailer for this is anything to justify the film, I can see why I would. It looks boring, uninspired, annoying. Kevin Hart is the obvious selling point for the film, and I'm not his biggest fan to begin with. But here he looks particularly annoying, the obvious punch line in every scene. The story is particularly uninspired, a generic battle of the sexes mixed with a boring Vegas party movie and not much else. It's fine for attracting the masses, I guess, but for me it looks like a movie we'll know the ending to about 10 minutes into the start of it. As always, I'll definitely be seeing it. But I don't think I can recommend it in good conscience. Not until I watch it, anyway. So for now, I'm gonna have to say Skip It.



Third Person

There's only one word that comes to mind watching this trailer - confusing. What is going on? It looks like the film is three unrelated but thematically connected love stories, starring Liam Neeson and Olivia Wilde in one, Mila Kunis and James Franco in another, and Adrian Brody and Moran Atias in the third. But beyond that, I just don't know what to even make of this movie. Who's is it advertising for? Apparently there's a love story between Neeson and Wilde, there's a domestic dispute story for Franco and Kunis, and then there's a gangster story for Brody and Atias. I watch the trailer and just feel an enormous lack of inspiration, something that seems to have been thrown together for the sake of thematic justification. But just because thematic material can justify interwoven stories doesn't mean it should. I cite Disconnect, a film with two awesome stories that wove together with one very disjunct one that, while thematically appropriate, didn't seem to add much to the scope of the story being told. So for this, I think I'm gonna have to say Skip It. I'm probably gonna have to skip it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment