Friday, February 28, 2014

About Last Night



A boy falls in love with a girl and shenanigans ensue? Happy Valentines Day everyone.

I generally hate Valentines Day weekend. And it's not because I'm single, it's not because I'm bitter. Frankly, I love going out on a date, or if I don't have one, spending it with my buddies. No, I hate Valentines Day because of the awful movies. Why are we looking at such bad romances? There's such a thing as a great romance. Why can't we see those? Are audiences really thought so stupid as to not see the gaping problems and hilariously bad lines written in these horrible romances?

So when Valentines Day came around and I sat in the theatre with a rom-com loving lady friend of mine, I was prepared. This movie was gonna SUCK. And seeing as it was one of two awful looking remakes, I can't say I had any real expectations.

Plain and simple, I enjoyed it for what it was. It wasn't trying to be anything more than a passing story, like listening to a buddy rant about his life for a little bit. It had a good amount of moments that made me laugh pretty hard, and it even managed to make me laugh at Kevin Hart a few times (I usually find him horrendously unfunny). The story was sweet enough and broken up with just enough humor to keep it from being boring, realistic enough that it was simple to identify with but different enough to let us feel intrigued, predictable enough to give the ladies what they want in a cheesy romance but different enough to keep the guys entertained. It had a great blend of raunchy and sweet humor for everyone in the audience to find something they liked too.

But then again, to me, this is just another one of those generic rom coms remade for a quick buck around the season, and obviously it shows. Granted, it's not like there was really anything else to see this weekend, what between Winters Bone and the remake of Endless Love showing no humor for those wanting to have a good time. So this movie knew it didn't need to be anything special. And it's not. Maybe that's its charm. It really is nothing special, nothing to remember, but a passable entry into the generic Valentines Day silly movies. It's worth a watch.

Rank - 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment