Friday, February 28, 2014

Labor Day



So we're spitting out a romance movie...NOT on Valentines day...oh...oh no, that can't be good.

Labor Day is apparently based on a book (yeah, big shock, I haven't read it. I feel so uneducated...ya know what? Quick plug. Go read "The Disaster Artist" by Greg Sestero. GREAT read), one that has a bit of a sappy story at its core. It's about a lonely woman falling in love with a man hiding from the police in her house. But the focus of the story isn't really the couple. No, it focuses far more around Winslet's son as he copes with this man who he genuinely likes also being an obvious red flag in his life.

I have to admit, I didn't hate this movie. That's right, this sappy crap actually kept me interested. But then again, it's probably Josh Brolin and Kate Winslet. Brolin plays an understanding, loving, but very very firm convict on the run. He truly doesn't want to hurt anyone, but he knows to protect himself he needs to put his morals on the line. He also shows a fear of being misunderstood, of being perceived as anything but a good man. Winslet plays a lonely single mom, refusing to leave her house except for the occasional grocery shopping. She's terrified of anything outside her house and only shows affection for her son, until this man comes into her life. It works shockingly well. Sure, the dialogue is a bit silly. But then again, it's not exactly the WORST thing I've seen. And these actors are both so talented in their roles, it's impossible to not be sucked in a bit to the charisma both of these actors have.

This film was directed by Jason Reitman, notable for his work on Young Adult, Up in the Air, and Juno. His style very clearly shines through, and I would argue it works rather well considering the sappiness. Sure, there are ridiculous scenes of baseball playing (completely exposed outside, I'll add...good hiding place), pie baking (way to keep up the badass convict look), and a pretty unintentionally silly ending. But for what it was, it worked well enough to keep me satisfied.

So is it brilliant? No. Is it good? Not really. But you know what? I didn't hate it. I guess that's more than I can say for the rest of my January so far...

Rank - 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment