Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty



I think Walter Mitty was the film I was most conflicted about this holiday season. It looked enjoyable, but it looked like more style than substance. Reviews came in, and that's exactly what it looked like it was...style over substance. Critics complained of lack of an interesting story, but beautiful imagery that worked to make it not a total waste of time. Anyone who knows me knows that this is what I hate about certain blockbusters. All style, no substance? No thanks. I want a compelling story, one that will keep me invested for the 2 hours I just payed 10 bucks to see.

But I have to say, I disagree with the critics on this. What they saw as a contrived, silly waste of beautiful imagery, I saw as a nice story, one that dealt with my own fears and limitations, one that made me feel so much more worth the time of others and so whole. It deals with perceived friendships, adventure, living life without the intention of fulfillment, and finding a real sense of happiness that only confidence can have. As someone who somewhat recently found himself fighting to regain his confidence after an abusive relationship (in fact, the anniversary of the breakup being very close to the release of this movie), and dealing with my own fears of success in my field, this movie struck a chord with me.

Maybe it's just a personal occurrence. Maybe I'm giving this movie too much credit. But I loved the sense of beauty it maintained. I really liked the places it brought me, places that became more organic at the realization that he was there. It was so similar to so many places I had been. Suddenly, the foreign countries he never could have made it to were there, under his feet. It's not unlike the accomplishments we go through every day, almost forgetting that at one point this was a goal we wanted to achieve.

Walter Mitty is in charge of taking care of the negatives that come through to the Time Magazine headquarters. When the final printed issue of Time is upon them, he finds that the picture is somehow missing, and sets off to track down the photographer. While doing so, he finds himself unintentionally becoming a more whole and more interesting person. I came to the same realization recently, thinking myself to be rather boring as a person. Yet just as he in his job to hunt down a photographer became his adventure through Europe and Asia, I found myself trying to become a more confident performer, and singing in front of my child hood hero. Little stories like this, the movie succeeds in making me as an audience member truly sympathize with Walter.

Is it a success? Yes. Is it a masterpiece? Nah, I can't call it that. But it's just one of those movies I guess, one that I will defend for myself, and enjoy for myself.

Rank - 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment