Thursday, February 6, 2014

Saving Mr. Banks

File:Saving Mr. Banks Theatrical Poster.jpg

I was conflicted heading into this one. I loved the idea for its potential to be funny and touching, but I hated the idea that John Lee Hancock was directing it. I adore Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson, and Paul Giamatti looked like he was going to be really funny, but it was being written by a woman who's only other major credit that I could find was the upcoming 50 Shades of Gray. I was terrified that this truly beautiful story, one that doesn't necessarily end happily, was going to be sappy, over written, and possibly Disneyfied itself.

It was almost anything but. Saving Mr. Banks is a strongly written, beautifully performed film. Everything about it rang honest, heartfelt, and dedicated. Tom Hanks plays Walt Disney, in his likable, funny, but perhaps a bit overbearing self. Emma Thompson plays an OCD, but passionate woman, desperate to see her book be made into a film that was exactly as she envisioned it, even if it wasn't what the rest of the world thought it to be. A fear that I'm sure every writer has giving their cherished stories to. What she didn't know was that this film was going to become one of the most important films of all time, and one of everyone's favorites.

The film maintains a perfect balance of hilarious, sweet, sad, likable, detestable, and unbelievable. It really makes every effort to put us in the shoes of the nervous Ms. Travers. Then again, the amazing performance delivered by Thompson makes it impossible not to feel the entire spectrum of emotions towards her, be it hatred, disgust, sadness, admiration, respect, understanding, and even a few laughs her way. But while she shines in her role, she is not at all the shining beacon of acting talent in this cast. And that's the best part. Everyone in this film beautifully compliments each other, refusing to let anyone outshine, but perfectly helping to glorify each other. Even Colin Farrell, an actor I never really felt strongly one way or the other, managed to bring a tear to my eye with a fabulous performance as a kindhearted, but very broken, father.

Saving Mr. Banks is a beautiful movie. One that I simply did not expect to love as much as I did, but certainly hoped the best for. This movie is one that the family can enjoy, but perhaps the movie hit me the hardest as a kid who spent a good amount of my life without my father. It pulled at my heart strings, it made me feel weak and strong. I only have one criticism - the ending left out some key points of Ms. Travers reaction that would have changed the context of the ending. But then again, it's a Christmas Disney movie starring Tom Hanks. I can forgive that.

Rank: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment