Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Chronicle
























5/5

Maybe I'll look on and think of this as being a smidge generous? But definitely not more than half a point. This was unbelievable. A true gem in the superhero genre that's tired and running thin. 3 boys find out that they have telekinetic abilities, presented in found-footage style. This made some of the best utilization of the relatively dried up style of film. Cameras were given more freedom through the brilliance of them floating around the characters. These were some of the best shots of flying characters I've seen in a long time, not for the look but for the style in which they flew. The only thing this film was missing was strong special effects and CGI, but what it lost in effects it made up in a riveting story and some really wonderful acting from the three leading characters. I'm not even joking when I say this might be one of my top 5 favorite superhero movies. Plus, the creativity that was used in the powers was great, especially in its explanation. Teeth being pulled out by feeling a lasso really hit me as wonderful imagery. Andrew was a great character, with just the right amount of pity and fear being pulled out of his speech and actions. I won't say too much, but there's a particularly intense scene involving him and his father. Who would have possibly guessed that this gem of a movie would come out in January? I really hope it can keep up with the vein of superhero movies coming out this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment