Friday, August 24, 2012

The Expendables 2

























3.5/5

What an improvement. The first Expendables movie was just absolute garbage, and one of my most hated movies of the year. I didn't think it delivered. Familiar faces lacked any character. The story was so confusing and so forced it had no tension to it whatsoever. There were so many explosions that the tongue-in-cheek humor was lost from the noise. THIS is what I was expecting the first movie to be. A plot with a relatively coherent story, with each actor playing their typecast role that we all recognize, and enough silence for the humor of these action movie giants all being together. Granted, it had a bunch of plot holes that kinda bugged me, but most of them I could forgive for the nostalgic cheese. I had some trouble understanding why these action heroes who could get out of any situation couldn't get out of the situation that started the whole movie, but I guess that normally happens too. What that scene did do that I really loved, however, is set up that these soldiers who can do no wrong are human. This added more tension to their survival and success, despite the fact that we're seeing the absolute dream team of actors on screen. It's a lot of fun, definitely more fun than the first, with a lot of perfect one liners and super silly moments to keep everyone pretty happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment