Thursday, January 10, 2013

Les Miserables

File:Les-miserables-movie-poster1.jpg

3.5/5

Everyone in this movie is dynamite. Everyone. Russel Crowe is the most questionable, and I loved him anyway. Hugh Jackman deserves every bit of that Oscar nom. Anne Hathaway had me almost crying. I hate Amanda Seyfried because she's annoying and terrible, and she's in the role that I also find annoying. Sacha Baron Cohen is the best casting choice ever. Seriously, everyone in this is fantastic. Now, the ultimate question - what on earth is with all of the closeups? You gave us such great, beautiful shots of Paris, of the landscapes of France, it was beautiful...why can't we see more of that during the songs? Not every song needs to be an obnoxious closeup of their face. Also, it's sad to say...the sound mixing on this was absolutely atrocious. The voices were much too loud compared to the orchestra, the balance never really made me happy until the very last scene when it sort of worked out. I've been hearing a lot of people complain that it's too long. As someone who's seen and been in the musical, I can say the pace is no different than the musical. It works just fine, and I didn't feel it was long at all. All in all, of course it's worth a watch. But it is a little bit underwhelming. And for a story like Les Mis to be underwhelming? That's not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment