Thursday, January 10, 2013

Lincoln

File:Lincoln 2012 Teaser Poster.jpg
5/5

Yes, it's incredibly obvious this is supposed to be the Oscar grabber. But I loved it. It was just as interesting and informative as it was entertaining and funny. Daniel Day-Lewis was dynamite as President Lincoln. It must be said that Sally Field was...eh...but Day-Lewis completely made up for her faults. I absolutely loved Tommy Lee Jones - legitimately! He was really great! It had a great script, one that made me laugh just as much as hold my breath, and (SPOILER ALERT, Lincoln dies) a brilliant way to show Lincoln's death. The simple way of saying this is, it worked. It took a stylistic choice to entertain rather than just inform, and it really worked well. Its script also showed that a story can be told accurately, well, and without cheese or obviousness, while still allowing the mind to wander to modern day allusions. It was really beautiful, and while it might not be my number one of the year, I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment